Friday, September 17, 2010

Pre-Op Testing

Well I made it through the day.  After a 75 min. drive I arrived at the hospital compound...yes compound.  That's what it seemed like anyway.  I live in a little town and the "big city" hospital was quite enormous to me.  Different campus' and all that stuff.

I made my way to the lab for my blood work with only a few wrong turns.  They fit me right in even though I was a good half hour early.  The tech knew what she was doing...found that vein right away and took 6 that's right 6 vials of blood....I was beginning to wonder if I was going to have any left.

I then made my way back to my car and off to the next campus for my stress test.  I was a good hour and a half early and the woman looked at me like I was kind of nuts, but I just told her I knew that and was prepared to wait....I brought my Kindle....I'm no dummy!

I was reading for all of about 15 minutes when they took me back....woo hoo!  It pays to be early sometimes.  I had to strip the top off and put on one of those lovely gowns and get hooked up to a few wires and stuff.  A few pictures were taken with the sonogram and the tech said they were going to have to give me a type of "contrast" by IV so they could see the walls of my heart better....Ok....whatever you need to do.
The nurse put it in and did a good job, but apparently I did have some blood left because is was all over the floor and my hand, leaking out of the IV...after a short break to clean it all up they shot the stuff in and took some more pics...then on to the treadmill.....

Let me just say that it was the longest 8 minutes of my day.  Man that was not fun.  With a little more contrast and a few more pics it was done and I was off to the Radiology lab for x-rays!

I didn't get lost once on the way....of course the nurse took me so that probably helped.  She also checked me in so I didn't have to wait!  I just stripped off my bra and put my shirt back on and the pics were done in no time!  I was so happy to get out of there and get something to eat and drink that I didn't even bother putting the bra back on!

A quick trip around the outside of the building to find my car and I was off!  Food! Coffee!  Where would I go?


Dunkin' Donuts.....after all I haven't had surgery yet and I might never get another one....

No comments: