Sunday, May 31, 2009

Rest In Peace Maw-maw Allen

It's been a somber couple of days around here. My DH's grandmother fell on Thursday night breaking her hip. They performed surgery on Friday and she kind of went down hill from there. Sad. She was 97 and independent till the end. She lived alone and only recently had my FIL been spending the night with her. She was still sharp as a tack mentally even though she'd been physically unable to do alot of the things that I know she loved. I used to see her in her yard tending the flowers all through the spring and summer. She was always up for company and had a kiss and a hug for whoever showed up. I may not have known her well and didn't always agree with her, as we were very different, but she will be missed. I went today to do her hair (a first for me) to make her beautiful for the funeral tomorrow. I hope my family will be pleased with how she looks on her journey. Kiss the ones you love and tell them often for you never know what the next day holds....I took this picture of her on Thursday evening.....
We'll be seeing you Olive Allen
1912-2009

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good journey Grandma Olive.

DesertHen said...

Your DH grandmother reminds me so much of my DH grandma! She too also feel and broke her hip and went fast shortly after. That was back in '93 and she was 85 at the time.

I'm sorry for your family's loss. (((HUGS))) for you all!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

What is about th elderly and broken hips that signals their demise? Too sad. I have hip displasia and I worry about injuring my hip one day, or not being able to be as active as I'd like because of the pain.

Poor Grandma Olive. She had a lovely smile and a beautiful face. She seemed very sweet.

What a generous gift to send her off with a beautiful hairdo.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

~Lisa